Hover-Davis – LP Series
Pick and place labels just like any other component with the LP Series label feeders.
– Automatically places labels using existing pick-and-place
– Saves cost and offers labor saving beneﬁts
– Eliminates need for custom label cells and saves ﬂoor space
– Fits on placement machine like any other feeder
– Flexible and modular solution for board labeling
– Eliminates hand placement error and costs
– Reliable, electronic operation
PCBs need to be marked for a number of reasons
– product identiﬁcation, traceability and process ﬂow control are just a few. By far the most common method used is the application of labels, usually by hand. This can add signiﬁcantly to labor costs and placement accuracy can be questionable, especially if the label data is to be read automatically downstream, for instance in an AOI system. If a pleasing cosmetic result is required, hand placement should not be the method of choice.
Other identiﬁcation methods are available:
in-line label applicators being the favorite. These are expensive both to buy and to own. High initial purchase cost can be difﬁcult to justify, ongoing maintenance also needs to be considered, as does the additional factory ﬂoor space they consume. Laser marking is another option and while this does facilitate real-time data marking, it also comes with compounded cost penalties and is not suitable for all applications.
A Flexible Alternative
Why not use your existing placement equipment to place labels? Hover-Davis LP Series label feeder ﬁts easily onto existing placement machines and presents the labels to the pick-and-place machine as if they were just another component. Program for the label as a leadless chip component and your work is done! No special programming or training required.
A simple, modular approach to feeder design adds to the overall ﬂexibility
of the LP series – the concept involves two basic components.
First: the machine speciﬁc label presenter (LP) which provides the
mechanical and electrical interface to the host machine.
(See LP Series Compatibility Matrix, Fig. 1).
Second: the interchangeable label tooling module (LMG) that is designed
speciﬁcally to peel and present the label stock.
(See Applicable Label Dimensions, Fig. 2).
The LP approach is faster and more accurate than hand placement: Labels are placed at the normal machine rate and as accurately as normal components. The result is a far more cost effective solution to board marking.
The LP Series is extremely versatile. The ﬂexibility of the label module means it can also be adapted to present a wide assortment of adhesive backed products just a few of which are illustrated below.
Label tooling module
Label modules are interchangeable: This allows the user to quickly and efﬁciently change label sizes without the need for tools. Simply use the release lever on the base feeder, lift the module from the label presenter and replace it with a new module. The one-piece design has all the size-speciﬁc parts that are required for the new label. One feeder can service multiple applications with simple changeover.